HârnQuest 2017

A form to discuss the latest Harn products from Columbia Games Inc (http://www.columbiagames.com), including what you'd like to see, how to use their rules system, review, news, and so on. Discussion should be restricted to products from this company only; comparisons to other products belongs in a more general forum.

Moderator: Grant

bbailey
Knight
Knight

Re: HârnQuest 2017

#51 Post by bbailey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:27 am

While the lands that the Cohorts of Gashang holds around Themeson are technically within Rethem, the order hasn't sworn fealty to King Chafin III. The Order of the Eight Demons is headquartered in Shiran and talks are underway that could result in Themeson being returned to the Republic.

Shealladh, if you are indicating where you see them in a filing system, you can put them in Rethem if you like. However, the articles will not be identified with any realm, meaning they will not have the same color top bar as settlements in either Rethem (orange) or Tharda (burgundy). They will use the same pinkish-red that was used for HârnMaster Religion and other religious orders.

Likewise, Atlas Hârnica squares don't respect kingdom borders and are not identified with any kingdom.

Shealladh
Villein
Villein

#52 Post by Shealladh » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Rothesay wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:51 am
The Agrikan orders are really more Thardic Republic than Rethem, but they should be considered as operating in both places. 8)
Figured as much :D Looking forward to seeing how another layer is added to the two Kingdoms, as well as adding depth to my understanding of these groups. Sounds like they're tied up like Order of the Copper Hook. However, looking forward to seeing how the two Orders differ from each other.
bbailey wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:27 am
While the lands that the Cohorts of Gashang holds around Themeson are technically within Rethem, the order hasn't sworn fealty to King Chafin III. The Order of the Eight Demons is headquartered in Shiran and talks are underway that could result in Themeson being returned to the Republic.
Sounds interesting, am looking forward to more orgs like this and am not familiar with this group (or rethem for that matter). Something new to sink my teeth into.
bbailey wrote:
Shealladh, if you are indicating where you see them in a filing system, you can put them in Rethem if you like. However, the articles will not be identified with any realm, meaning they will not have the same color top bar as settlements in either Rethem (orange) or Tharda (burgundy). They will use the same pinkish-red that was used for HârnMaster Religion and other religious orders.
Should've worded that better, figured they were coded as such, was thinking which area is influenced the most by, with my assumption. Hint: don't write something while thinking of something else :p

Another conflict, and political strife, makes for great adventuring ideas. All I could find on them is scarse and mentions the groups bordering on Rethem/Tharda. Looking forward to the release to learn more about them.
I was trying to see where they mainly fit in the world, the bit I did find mentioned that they were like the Copper Hook, just wasn't sure if there was more to it, sounds like there is, so that's good, I like learning more about these sects ;)

Slowly painting a picture of the underlying agendas of groups and how they interact with each other, adding another layer/demension to understanding the cycle of things Tharda, Rethem, Kanday and the various ways in which each faction relates to the other. Must admit, the religion side of things I'm still learning how they relate and which has fingers in the regions interactions with each other.
bbailey wrote:
Likewise, Atlas Hârnica squares don't respect kingdom borders and are not identified with any kingdom.
Another region not too familiar with, Orbaal. Just wasn't sure if part of that kingdom or a set of islands in the region or something like Domid or Anfla islands. More maps, always a good thing. So looking forward to getting my hands on F8 (hint, hint) to pretty much finish Kaday and include the area for Gozyda (really interested in the conflict with the tribes and how it relates to Kanday and Tharda), G7 (finishing it off, tharda include most of it), and F6 & G6 to flesh out Tharda.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#53 Post by Krazma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi everyone, another update.

Due to some last-minute changes on CGI's part, we are re-arranging the order of what gets released for the next few HQs. As always, I want to emphasize that this is the best information as it currently stands. CGI can (and does) change things, so if it changes again, we'll update you accordingly.
  • For July, the offerings will be Caleme Abbey and a much-expanded Qualdris Castle. The latter was released as a Hârn Classic back in 2012 with only minor changes from the original. This version includes maps and details of the entire castle, greatly expanded town locations, new artwork, and more, basically bringing it in line with the other major holdings of Kaldor.
  • Then, shortly after that (August, if plans hold), you will get Atlas Hârnica K1 along with The Bridge Builders, a full-length adventure by Kerry Mould, set in Azadmere and intended to be used with the recent Guthe Bridge article.
  • Also in August, but as a separate (non-HQ) release, we have the long-awaited update to the Ivinia regional module.
  • Finally, probably in November, we'll release Order of the Eight Demons and Cohorts of Gashang, along with Lorkin Castle and Atlas Hârnica K2.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#54 Post by MDMann » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm

No map square for July?
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#55 Post by Rothesay » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:38 pm

No, between Caleme (18 pages) and Qualdris (16?) they take up all the available space.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#56 Post by Krazma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:25 pm

MDMann wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm
No map square for July?
Don't worry, we'll catch up. BTW, the list at the beginning of this thread breaks down the exact contents of each HQ.

BigWeather
Beadle
Beadle

#57 Post by BigWeather » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:53 am

I know it may be premature, but I was wondering if we could get more information about Ivinia?

How much will be new / re-written / re-illustrated?
I'm assuming it'll be a binder release like the kingdom modules?
Will subsequent articles be part of HarnQuest or will they be separate like the regional module is?
Is the intent to go beyond just the material in the original regional module and Menglana and fill out the other kingdoms and even do map squares (eventually, of course)?

Thanks!

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#58 Post by bbailey » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Ivinia has not been rewritten and much of the text is as it was in the original, although somewhat edited and rearranged. There is, however, quite a bit more detail given on each of the 14 kingdoms, including heraldry and illustrations of the kings. There is a mixture of new art and old. I believe it will be released in a binder and will include the big poster map of the region.

There are indeed subsequent articles planned for future HârnQuests, including a kingdom module for Rogna and articles for each of its three major settlements. I expect the material in the old Menglana module will also one day be revised and rereleased.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#59 Post by MDMann » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Will there be a HQ discount or incentive for Ivinia?
Per Sir Veer.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#60 Post by Krazma » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm

MDMann wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 pm
Possibly, but I doubt CGI has decided that sort of thing yet. My guess is it will be similar to whatever was done with HârnWorld.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#61 Post by bbailey » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:47 pm

MDMann wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 pm
If nothing else, I would think the PDF will be 50% off for subscribers like all other PDFs.

joseph_mccallum
Woodward
Woodward

#62 Post by joseph_mccallum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:48 am

Very excited about a brand new Harn cannon Adventure module release and nice to see it being in Azadmere too. Cant wait! :)

BigWeather
Beadle
Beadle

#63 Post by BigWeather » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 am

bbailey wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 pm
Ivinia has not been rewritten and much of the text is as it was in the original, although somewhat edited and rearranged. There is, however, quite a bit more detail given on each of the 14 kingdoms, including heraldry and illustrations of the kings. There is a mixture of new art and old. I believe it will be released in a binder and will include the big poster map of the region.

There are indeed subsequent articles planned for future HârnQuests, including a kingdom module for Rogna and articles for each of its three major settlements. I expect the material in the old Menglana module will also one day be revised and rereleased.
Thanks for the details! Though much of the text has not been rewritten this isn't like Tharda, however, where it is expected that it will be rewritten in the future? I have the original and if this new one is basically intended to be the final (I know, I know) update I'll bite as more details on the kingdoms and art (color?) is definitely welcome. Excellent that we'll get a kingdom module for Rogna and hopefully an update to Menglana. How about some of the other kingdoms? Any plans to eventually do those or mainly just stick with these two (as they were the ones covered in the 80s)?

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#64 Post by bbailey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:37 am

Like Tharda was, Ivinia has been out of print for a while so a main purpose of this version is to make the product available to people who don't already have it. You could also consider this like the edition of HârnWorld from a few years ago. There was some new material and new art (yes, there will be color art) but most of the text was from the original. I would say it is very unlikely that Ivinia will be updated again any time soon. Any further expansion will come in the individual kingdom and settlement articles. Rogna, Menglana, Lokis, and some others are in the works but don't hold your breath for a full set of the kingdoms.

Marsh Lawton
Villein
Villein

#65 Post by Marsh Lawton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:37 am

Even though I have opted out of Ivinia material (I am even in danger of running out of space for printed Hârn material), I am wondering how much of the original Ivinia module is being made available? I recall the original was set up much like the Hârn master module, with an Iviniaview and Ividiadex component. Is it just the Iviniaview portion bundled with the Ivinia map like the recent HârnWorld release or will it also contain the Iviniadex? Or will it be like HârnWorld and have both available separately?

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#66 Post by bbailey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:40 am

The plan right now is a single 80-page module that includes both the main article and the index, plus the region map.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#67 Post by bbailey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 am

Final source files for Caleme Abbey and the expanded Qualdris Castle have been sent to Columbia Gmes and should be printed, shipped, and made available for PDF download to subscribers soon. Individual print and PDF copies will be available on the CGI site and RPGNow shortly thereafter.

joseph_mccallum
Woodward
Woodward

#68 Post by joseph_mccallum » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 am

Woohoo! :)

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#69 Post by Rothesay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 am

Indeed, I have to confess to be a little excited myself ... :wink:

9ofSwords
Woodward
Woodward

#70 Post by 9ofSwords » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:27 am

I've just thoroughly (re)read Qualdris and perused Caleme — both wonderful!
(I just might have to reboot discussion of Earl Meleken's disappearance)
Great material! Great work CGI, and all contributors!

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#71 Post by Rothesay » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks!

I didn't realize they were available already - CGI really moved quickly here. 8)

joseph_mccallum
Woodward
Woodward

#72 Post by joseph_mccallum » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm

It's very clear that a lot of work has gone into these articles and it's really paid off, great job guys, Fantastic work! The art, the maps the writing, the layout, the editing is all top notch.

joseph_mccallum
Woodward
Woodward

#73 Post by joseph_mccallum » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:59 pm

p.s. Who ever decided to include the full scale maps at the end of the Caleme article deserves a medal, VERY useful.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#74 Post by Targan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Thank you Columbia Games crew. Once again, excellent work.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#75 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

joseph_mccallum wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:59 pm
p.s. Who ever decided to include the full scale maps at the end of the Caleme article deserves a medal, VERY useful.
You can thank BBailey for that. While I wanted to include the uncut maps, he's the guy that made it happen. He's a layout savant. 8)