Changing Elf and Dwarf Generation (HMx)

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

Changing Elf and Dwarf Generation (HMx)

#1 Post by zrayaan » Sun May 28, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm tweaking non-human character generation for my p-harn. Looking for advice.

I've decided to drop Sunsign for Sinai. They're immortal and most of them came from Midgaad. Should I worry about replacing the SB bonuses, or accept that it will off-set their higher value attributes?
Cheers, Konnel.

Eshâyaél | Green & Pleasant Land

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

Re: Changing Elf and Dwarf Generation (HMx)

#2 Post by zrayaan » Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 pm

No more occupations for Sinai. IMPH Circle II invocations are automatic skills for Sidhe, and Sjari was automatic for all elves (only a couple spells were granted for free, however).

It might be easier to treat Sinai like dilettantes from Call of Cthulhu, go through pregame by the decade with SMP equal to WIL×10(!). Character can open or improve as normal; skill decline is a thing. I was working on a spreadsheet to autocalc by the quarter year, but I'm not good enough to bring that to fruition.
Cheers, Konnel.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Derfman » Mon May 29, 2017 2:59 pm

In my pHarn, nearly all the elves VASTLY out-skill humans.

I know about the canon elvish brain biology feature, but if that feature means a 2000 year old elf (starting PC) has the same skills at a 21 year old human (starting PC), then that means that the brain biology would prevent the elf from EVER developing his skills further.

I do use the elvish brain biology feature, but I only have it take effect if an elf changes professions, and even then, it takes a few centuries the old profession skills to seriously decline. But it does explain nicely why elves don't have ALL the skills developed.

I'm not dead set against 2000 year old PC elves, or even 15000 year old ones, but they will VASTLY out skill their human comrades, which requires a mature minded group of players.

In other words, the group could have a PC starting off vastly overpowered compared to the others. It can work, but takes some effort by players and GM.

In my pHarn an elf that has recently (within the last decade or so) decided to 'try something new', would have the starting skills of his new occupation at about starting level of a human, AND still have his INSANELY high skills for the old occupation, and full ability to use them.......
......but I'd expect the player to do his best to rollplay a desire to leave the old profession behind. Does not need to be stupid stubborn, but if the old profession was glassworking the elf is not going to knock off few masterpieces to fund the group's new townhouse.......

I like the idea of PC elves being young elves, not much older than their human comrades, but I know some pHarns don't work that way.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by zrayaan » Mon May 29, 2017 4:26 pm

I didn't mention it, but I currently only go over the last few hundred years. As for the memory degeneration, mechanically I just incorporate skill decrease. Any really important personal events will have been immortalized into song or poetry.
Cheers, Konnel.