Character Generation

Moderator: zrayaan

Point-Buy vs Randomized Characters

Poll ended at Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 pm

HMg Point-Buy character generation (Get close to the character you want, but balanced.)
No votes
HMg randomized character generation ("Go where taken by the roll.")
100%

Total votes: 4

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

Character Generation

#1 Post by zrayaan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:07 pm

The original plan was to do extensive HMg character creation and pre-game, more or less by-the-book with complete randomization. However, it seems to me it would be a missed opportunity to utilize the point-buy system given this will be a largely diceless environment. So I leave it to you, the first class (choose only one, but you can change your selection until poll closes):
Cheers, Konnel.

Eshâyaél | Green & Pleasant Land

Corrivatus
Cottar
Cottar

Re: Character Generation

#2 Post by Corrivatus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 am

Personal preference is the complete random generation, if we do a full pregame generation then the nitty gritty details I care about are determined during that. So that's my vote.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Bracken
Half Villein
Half Villein

#3 Post by Bracken » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:51 am

The full random chargen would probably suit me better, to give me some bones to hang my thoughts on. However I don't mind either way.
" that beauty and truth shall pass utterly " Stephen R Donaldson

Ken_Snellings
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Ken_Snellings » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 am

I'm good with either way, but selected random gen as my answer.
Ken Snellings
CHMP Member
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States of America

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by zrayaan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:32 am

Four out of five clenches it. I'll set up times to work on characters.
Cheers, Konnel.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by zrayaan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Who wants to go first? Because the group chose random generation* I will have the bare-bones of the character set-up, ready to guide through pre-game. The pre-game will begin at age 13, and end at the age the player wishes the character to enter the game. There are few rules. If you wish I can post the Character descriptions for individuals to choose, or you can taken random assignments.

*Nearly everything has been randomly generated, then tweaked to fit into the setting. I have left all characters heterosexual males, but players are welcome to alter this.
Cheers, Konnel.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by zrayaan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 pm

The characters will be posted here. We can agree to let them be up for grabs or I can assign randomly. All were created randomly, with minimal tweaking. Some skill formula have changed due to the presence of the newly added attribute... er, Presence. Some stats and skills are secret on certain characters (piety, virtue, and psionics). If the sheet has a funny symbol that seems out of place it's because google won't display certain fonts correctly, even if you have them installed on your computer.

Corrivatus
Lôryn (clan name) of enéa y Teslísa (village of Teslisa) in Géda, the middle son/daughter of a Enéral (villein).

Bracken
Kíran (clan name) of enéa y Andgan (village of Andgan) in Onden. The youngest son/daughter of a successful Tópcàvar (mercantyler). Easily the most dysfunctional family I've generated: Father and Mother are deceased, oldest brother took over clanhead position and franchise, apparently not enjoying the level of success his father did. Older sisters are unmarried and living with clanhead. Older twin brother is absent because of legal troubles, and youngest sister vanished (presumed dead).

Bâkèsrel (clan name) of neal Narasin (Narasin manor) in Andazyn, the third noble child of Ner Kesrel's second son.

Garry
Yeon (clan name), of aìnaen Namadys (Namadees abbey), the third child of a fisherman.

Rothgar
Relyc [clan name], the eldest son of the Véral (reeve) of enéa y Kesdunid (Kesdunid village) in Lerenil.
Cheers, Konnel.

Corrivatus
Cottar
Cottar

#8 Post by Corrivatus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:57 am

I would be more than happy to go first, I feel like Lôryn has some potential to be what I want my character to be.

How would you like to handle the pre-game generation? My son goes to bed at 9pm EST so generally I'm free thereafter. Otherwise I can easily handle pre-game via email or a forum thread of some sort.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#9 Post by zrayaan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Links to the available characters are in the above post. There might be a few mistakes in the calculations which I'll double check during pre-game, but nothing should be too out of line.

Corrivatus, I can probably meet you after 9pm any day. I am on central time. I'll set up some sort of calendar. Let's everyone take a look at all four and then post. Again, we can change the sex and sexual orientation and any other small details to make the character something you are comfortable with. Changing to female will cause a few recalculations, but nothing that can't be done on the fly.
Cheers, Konnel.

Bracken
Half Villein
Half Villein

#10 Post by Bracken » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:57 pm

I like the sound of Kiran and their upbringing. I know less than nothing about sailing and seafaring, even to pretend, which is why I won't say Yeon.
I'd like to make Kiran a she, if that will fit in.
" that beauty and truth shall pass utterly " Stephen R Donaldson

Corrivatus
Cottar
Cottar

#11 Post by Corrivatus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:57 am

I'm personally interested in Lôryn or Yeon. I feel I can make a fantastic character with either of them. I'm fairly laid back, so if someone else wants one or the other just speak up! I'll enjoy playing as anything regardless of the outcome.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#12 Post by zrayaan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:45 am

Here's another thing to consider during the pre-game. You'll notice in the behavioral section there is a box labelled Personality Traits. These let you fine-tune the personality of your character, and tells me how to color your narrative.

There are ten pairs of opposed traits, aligned next to each other. These have a numerical value (each starting at 10), and pairs must always sum 20 and have a minimum of 1. The normal range is 6-14, indicating a healthy, well-adjusted human adult. Should a trait be assigned a value 15-19 it is a passion, and special rules kick in when the situation arises. People with passions are a bit obsessive, and it is rare to find someone with more than two.
Cheers, Konnel.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#13 Post by zrayaan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Bracken gets Kiran, and I'll make the adjustments tomorrow. If Corrivatus is really ok with either, I'll give Garry and Ken a couple more days to chime in. I'll try to develop one more clan so everyone has a choice, maybe a Orbaalese immigrant to make sure there is equal representation. Or a barbarian if someone requests one in the next 24 hours.
Cheers, Konnel.

GarryHamlin
Half Villein
Half Villein

#14 Post by GarryHamlin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Given my furthers, I'd like to be Yeon, 3rd child of a fisherman. Hunter/Forager/Fisher types fascinate me.

GarryHamlin
Half Villein
Half Villein

#15 Post by GarryHamlin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Druthers, not furthers. Spellcheck.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#16 Post by zrayaan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I posted the player names next to the desired character. That leaves Ken. I'll try to get another character up for him so he has a choice. Post your dream date & time (US Central) for a 2-3 hour pre-game session.
Cheers, Konnel.